What Beginners Should Know About Poker Before They Start Playing
You can see the game of poker being played in every venue- whether it be in the comfort of one’s home or at the live casino. The game has been refined since 1830 and it has countless variations which make the game so appealing.
Although poker, in general, is easy to play, there are some things that you need to know about it if you want to win. Fortunately for you, I happen to have all of the information you need, so do read ahead to find out what you need to know before you start playing the game of poker.
The original version of the poker game would have players play using a standard deck of cards. That means that the deck that is going to be used is one that contains a total of 52 cards.
Although in most cases, poker only uses one standard deck of cards, there are variations of the game where it calls for the use of two standard decks.
The dealer would have to shuffle the cards before they are dealt to the players. The standard rules of poker apply (depending on the variation that is played).
As I’ve said earlier, there are plenty of variations of the game. In most cases, the player is asked to create a 5-card hand but there are cases where this differs.
Anyway, you have to understand the concept of the different card ranks so that you will know if your hand beats the others when the showdown begins.
Here are some of the best possible card combinations:
- Royal Flush- The hardest to obtain, the royal flush is the best possible card combination in the game. It consists of the five highest value cards of the same suit (ten, jack, queen, king, and ace)
- Straight Flush- The next in rank, the straight flush is where you will get a set of cards of the same suit in succession. This is a bit more common than royal flush but still uncommon compared to the other possible combinations
- Four of a Kind- This is where you get four cards of the same value with a kicker card to complete the 5-card hand. This is stronger than the full house but weaker than the aforementioned ones
- Full House- The full house is where you will get three cards of the same value coupled with a pair of cards of the same value. Not as strong as four of a kind but definitely stronger than the regular flush or straight.
- Chips- Legally, casinos are not allowed to trade real money. That is why players would have to convert their cash into casino chips for them to join the game
- Banker- Also known as the dealer, this person will be the one to manage the chips, as well as deal the cards to the players
- Limits- This refers to the fixed, pot, and no limit variations of the game. The fixed limit is where players cannot bet beyond a pre-set limit of chips. The pot limit is where the bets that are made should not go above the chips that are on the pot at the time. The no limit variation is where the sky is the limit and players can bet how many chips they want.